Top Two Ways to Go Carbon Neutral!
The most effective way for each of us to reduce climate change is to become carbon neutral in our own lives. Fortunately, there are two quick, but very effective actions we can take to achieve this:
- Switch to 100% Renewable Electricity: head over to the green-e certified site and select the Renewable Electricity option. If no suppliers are available for your area, select Renewable Energy Certificate and pick one of the certified companies offering options nationwide. It only takes a few minutes to sign up, the charge for renewable energy is competitive and you will only receive one bill for all electricity and gas charges. Any outages will continue to be handled by your local utility.
Quick Pick: Arcadia Power
- Increasing renewable energy sources speeds helps reduce prices for renewables. This is what will drive widespread adoption of sustainable energy sources irregardless of government policies
- Making your energy choice clear helps shift your local utility company toward offering (more) renewable options
- Switching to renewables reduces demand for building new polluting energy plants and makes it clear to your politicians that you no longer want them to support polluting energy sources
- And, of course, it will directly reduce/offset your personal emissions
offers a great nationwide renewable energy certificate option - they make it quick and easy to make the switch.
- Buy Carbon Offsets: the green-e certified site also lists certified carbon offset companies. Your chosen organization will help you calculate your remaining carbon emissions (or you can use Carbon Footprint's) and setup a payment plan. Costs are very affordable (about the price of a latte a month per person).
Buying carbon offsets is an incredibly effective way to both offset your personal emissions today and directly help develop solutions for reducing emissions long-term.
Quick Pick: TerraPass
is a well-respected carbon offset company that makes it easy to calculate your emissions and buy a monthly offset plan. Projects include building wind farms and installing equipment to convert landfill gas and animal waste into energy.
Taking these two key steps toward becoming carbon neutral means that, from this day forward, you'll be taking effective action every single day to help create a sane, sustainable future for all of us!
Want to do more? Please share this page with your friends and family! For more ideas on reducing your personal emissions, visit the Reduce Your Carbon Footprint page.