Pollution from Plastics - Videos
From Green Sangha's Rethinking Plastics Campaign.
- A Plastic Wave (Youtube)
A surf photographer, business owner and father of two is seeing more and more plastic wash ashore his beloved home beach. In a bid to discover the route of this problem he embarks on a journey of discovery to educate himself and understand more about the problem. Along the way, he discovers some alarming issues. Plastic pollution is a very real threat to the future of our planet, the animals that inhabit our oceans and ultimately the human race. The problem is far worse than it seems on the surface and we need to act now to ensure we protect the future for ourselves and our planet.
- Great Pacific Garbage Patch (Youtube Ted Talk)
Beth Terry, the founder of Fake Plastic Fish, shares her story of plastic free living.
- Bag It Movie
Investigation into plastics and their effect on our waterways, oceans, and even our bodies. About the full movie. (3 minute intro or 78 minute documentary)
- The Bay vs. The Bag (YouTube)
On the Golden Gate Headlands, a bike-rider sits down to enjoy a sandwich. Her plastic wrapper blows away, only to come back to her in force with millions of other bags in a great wave that overwhelms her. (3 minutes)
- Synthetic Sea – Plastic in the Open Ocean (YouTube)
A vivid introduction to one of the 63 planetary emergencies – the infusion of plastics into our oceans – and the implications of a waste-based society. (9 minutes)
- Dumping in China and Ghana (PBS Frontline World Video)
Frontline special on "recycling" in overseas dumps. (20 minutes)
- The Majestic Plastic Bag (YouTube)
This "nature documentary" from Heal the Bay tracks the tenacious migration of "the majestic plastic bag" from a grocery store parking lot to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. (4 minutes)
- Midway Journey - Plastic Beach (YouTube)
Beach cleaned by humans, then plastic particles wash ashore with each wave. Crabs walking and eating plastic on the strand. (2 minutes)
- Plastic Challenge 2009 (YouTube)
Beth Terry's entertaining video on the total plastic she had to throw away in 2009 (3.6 pounds) See also earlier challenge. (5 minutes)
- Photographs of Plastic Trash from Beach Cleanup (Photographs - opens separate browser tab)
Awareness raising images of plastic trash found on various beaches. The website offers a great list of alternatives for commonly used plastic products.
- Midway Journey (YouTube)
Impact of plastics on Albatross on the Midway Atoll. (4 minutes)
- Plastic Paradise (Vimeo Trailer)
This is a trailer, but long enough to be full of a lot of information. (6 minutes)
- Saving Inky (Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3) (YouTube)
The story of a beached whale that is nursed back to life in an aquarium when researchers finally discover (and remove) plastic in its belly. (18 minutes)
- Story of Bottled Water (Animated Video at Story of Stuff)
Annie Leonard’s quick, comprehensive look at the wasteful and expensive bottled water craze. (8 minutes)
- World's Oceans Face Problem of Plastic Pollution (PBS NewsHour Special Video)
Covers research by Captain Charles Moore and colleagues on plastics in the ocean. (9 minutes)
- Plastic State of Mind (YouTube)
Fun song about bringing your own shopping bags. (2 minutes)
- Bring Your Canvas Bag (YouTube)
This is a hoot, a real mood-lifting song after all the depressing news. (3 minutes)
- The Dangers of Plastic Bags (Slideshow)
Information about the dangers of plastic bags and what countries around the world are doing about it.
- Intolerable Beauty (Photographs)
Photos of the wastefulness of consumer culture, expressed in the vast numbers of electronics and other items discarded daily. Hear Photographer Chris Jordan’s story (Culture Unplugged TED Lecture Video).